Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Little Lesson On Responsiblity In The Business World

People in certain positions need to start taking more responsibility for their choices and actions. I've spent most of my adult life looking for work, and I think this is one of the best lesson's I've learned.

I've recently had a job interview for a company that I have prior experience working for. During the interview, the employer was looking into my records and reviews that my previous boss for the same company left for me.

Now, when I worked there before, it was my first job and I had no idea how the world of employment actually worked so I think its pretty obvious that I wasn't the best of employees, so..the review was a little negative. One of the comments was that I didn't take initiative and because of that, they took it as me being unmotivated. The thing is though, I did my job..I did what I was told to do. That, in my mind, was my only requirement. I thought it made me a good worker...hell, I even worked more overtime then most people in my position!

Had my boss at the time told me any of this..I would have become a better person for it. I would have done better work..I mean, it really would help me in future endeavors. I just feel that since I was unaware of this, it was my boss's job to direct me. I'm not hard to talk to..I DO take advice so..if your my boss and you think I'm not doing something right...fucking tell me. that makes YOU bad at your job...not me. That's just how I feel about that.

I dont understand..what's hard about being honest with someone and taking responsibility? I would have taken responsibility for my actions..so why cant you, my direct supervisor? Do your job and direct me.

Here is another example:

I also hate it (and I've had plenty of experience with this), I hate when you apply somewhere and they tell you they'll call you...then that's it. You dont hear anything. Whenever I hear "we'll call you", I take it as a no for now on because they dont..they dont take responsibility and let you know that you didn't get the job. Instead they leave you hanging. Fuck..I mean, I've only had two places tell me that I didn't get the job..and I respect that a hell of a lot more. I'd rather hear that I didn't get the job, and not get my hopes up. I mean...it means more to me that you told me that I didn't get it. It means probably more to me then if I would have gotten the job anyway!

Anyway, the lesson that I've taken away from these experiences is that it is important to be honest with people from the beginning. Take responsibility for the choices you make. Even if you work for a large corporation...please, dont hide behind it. 

1 comment:

  1. It's very straightforward to find out any matter on net as compared to books, as I found this article at this site.

    my website ... http://www.goldenrat.com/fast-products-for-modcloth-coupon-code-the-facts/

    ReplyDelete

You're opinions are appreciated!